Friday 20 December 2013

Grace at Winter Solstice

Tree House stone circle, by the light of the full moon...



Winter Solstice - a dark time, a quiet time, a still time, a contemplative time, a time of gratitude, a time of dreams, a time of transformation...

Yet, here in the Northern Hemisphere, madness reigns, buzzy music, scurrying people, jostling queues, minds way ahead of heads, heads way ahead of bodies, bodies way ahead of the date; the dark silent stillness forgotten in the noisy brightness of Christmas...

Yet even when moving, if I stop within for just a tiny moment, I can sense the seam of sanity running through all this. I sense the Something that watches over all this mayhem with a loving and amused smile. I am so glad of the Grace of this Something; I am glad Something remembers and is holding my dark, contemplative stillness as I rush around with lists. It reminds me that this place within never leaves me, that is as much me as the rushing me, whether I sense it or not. That unconditional place of stillness that still remains still as I move from shop to shop, cross things off the list, share season’s greetings with friends and fellow beings. As I remember things to not forget....

That Something is a Place that knows, exists, remembers and reminds - soft, dark, velvety calm. All knowing and all thankful - pure Grace. Waiting. Watching. Listening. Waiting and watching and listening for me - my thread of connection to the Winter Solstice; the time that forms a link from the light to the light, through the longest, darkest night. This Solstice heralds a birth. Our re-birth. A new start. A gift beyond measure, for which I am deeply grateful, no matter the over-lying busy-ness. Wherever I am, I can greet that still point in me - it always has been and always will be there - and let my grateful inner stillness kiss the Solstice. And that kiss will witness and declare the light, my light, your light, our light, at this time of Light. And the light will grow....

Blessed Be.

1 comment: